- KAV Sports 3D Printed Hockey Helmet Review
- Conquest Hockey Recharge Tech Fleece Review
- Conquest Hockey Sensation Thermal Review
- Conquest Hockey Wrap-Around Hoodie Review
- Conquest Hockey Virtuoso 2.0 Hat Review
- STX Surgeon RX3 Stick Review
- 2018 True A6.0 SBP Stick Review
- Oneiric vs CCM, Bauer, and Shock Doctor: Base Layer Pants Comparison Review
- Elevate XL27 Stick Review
- CCM Ribcor 70K Skates Review
Surprise Team Makes Bold Offer for Alex Ovechkin
- Updated: June 6, 2017
I’m not sure many would have expected this to be the case, but it appears as though a surprise Canadian team has made the first big trade offer for Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin.
In a report coming from a Russian website called Delfi, the Capitals have received a large offer from the Calgary Flames. The Flames would be willing to part ways with 20-year-old defensive prospect Oliver Kylington, 20-year-old forward Sam Bennett, as well as two first round draft picks. While the report coming from a relatively unknown source should be taken with a grain of salt, we should not ignore the fact that rumors have been flying around about Ovechkin.
In terms of assessing the deal, I certainly think that the Capitals can do better than this offer from the Flames. Don’t get me wrong, the return is substantial. However, Kylington is only a prospect, having played just a single NHL game in his career. Bennett is still a youngster. He has plenty of upside, but does not appear to be a player who can come right in next season and make a huge impact.
Beyond that, the two first round draft picks are a great return for the future, but they do not help the Capitals to win now. Just because they might be trading Alex Ovechkin does not mean they want to start over with a complete rebuild. The Capitals need a return of impact players and individuals who can help the organization get over the hump and win a Stanley Cup. This is a big offer from Calgary, but I don’t think it will be enough to get a deal done.